Halton Healthcare Services (HHS) is a multi-site healthcare organization providing access to three of the best community hospitals in the province. In January 2006, Georgetown Hospital joined Oakville-Trafalgar Memorial Hospital and Milton District Hospital as part of HHS. Reflecting the dynamic communities it serves, HHS takes pride in offering some of the finest technology and healthcare expertise available in southwestern Ontario today.
Serving the growing communities of Milton, Oakville, Clarkson and Halton Hills our Hospitals are very much a part of Halton’s rich history and have a long-standing tradition of providing quality care to many generations of area families. Together, they serve over 200,000 residents.
On March 1, 2006, the Local Health System Integration Act 2006 was passed, empowering LHINs to plan, fund and integrate local health services. Halton Healthcare’s three hospitals are part of the Mississauga Halton LHIN, which covers approximately 900 square kilometres and includes the municipalities of South Etobicoke, Mississauga, Halton Hills, Oakville, and Milton.
On October 17, 2013, Halton Healthcare Services (HHS) received notification from Accreditation Canada that its accreditation status was elevated to Accredited with Exemplary Standing, which is the highest possible status granted by Accreditation Canada. To read and find out about other Awards and Distinctions please go to http://www.haltonhealthcare.on.ca/about-halton-healthcare/awards-and-distinctions.html
It all began in 1943 when Doctor C.K. Stevenson converts his Martin Street residence into the ten bed, two bassinet Milton Private Hospital. The hospital eventually grew to 17 beds before it closed in 1959 just after the new Milton District Hospital opened.
1954 – Chamber of Commerce President Bruce MacNab, at a Chamber of Commerce meeting, suggests that the community consider establishing a local hospital. MacNab, along with John Wright and Ron Harris are appointed to initiate plans for a district hospital.
1955 – The first Board of Directors is named for the Milton General Hospital.
February 1956 – The decision is made to change the name from Milton General Hospital to Milton District Hospital.
June 7, 1956 – Ten acres of land was purchased from the Woodley family for $1000 an acre.
1958 – The Hospital Auxiliary is formed by Mrs. Frank McNiven and Mrs. Chester Service. They raise $21,000 in their first year.
November 21, 1959 – Dr. M.B. Dymond, Minister of Health, officially opens Milton District Hospital. The new health care facility consists of 53 beds and 8 bassinets.
December 14, 1959 – The first patient, Elizabeth Hannant, is admitted to the new hospital.
December 18, 1959 – Wanda Ramsbottom, MDH’s first baby, is born.
1959 – The extension of highway 401 significantly increases community visibility and traffic, bringing in more emergency patients.
1962 – The medical emergency section of the hospital is becoming increasingly overcrowded. Beds are set up in corridors. As a result, Bruce MacNab, Chairman of the Board, initiates plans for a $610,000, 50-bed expansion.
July 1965 – The Candy striper Program is launched by the Hospital Auxiliary.
1966 – A contract is awarded for the new wing with enlarged services and facilities.
May 13, 1967 – Dr. M.B. Dymond, Minister of Health, officially opens the second floor addition which increases hospital capacity from 53 to 83 beds. The expansion includes administration offices, a boardroom, elevators, a clinical classroom, a Hospital Auxiliary Gift Shop, a new physiotherapy department and an outdoor solarium for ambulatory patients.
October 1969 – Ambulance is based at MDH.
January 1969 – Town of Milton’s boundaries changed so the present Milton District Hospital became part of the Town of Milton. Before this date, babies born at the hospital were registered as Oakville residents.
July 7, 1972 – MDH buys ten additional acres at $4000/acre.
February 24, 1981 – The Honourable Dennis Timbrell, Minster of Health, authorizes MDH to proceed with the first stage of their expansion.
1980 – Milton District Hospital Foundation is formed with the sole purpose of raising funds for the hospital.
1983-1984 – The expansion fundraiser “buy a brick” campaign sold a total of 1,015 bricks at $200 a piece.
October 1984 – MDH’s million-dollar expansion fund goes over the top by 11 per cent, raising $1.3 million.
1985 – Construction of the new South Wing commences.
October 17, 1987 – Elinor Caplan, Minister of Health, officially opens the $17 million renovation and expansion. The new South Wing is comprised of 80,000 square foot addition to an original 60,000 square foot building. The addition includes a new Emergency Department, Diagnostic Imaging, Laboratory, Cardiac Care, a 30-bed Chronic Unit, Purchasing, Stores, Central Supplies, Admitting, a Birthing Room and a Heliport.
1988 – A stylish new birthing room with a homey atmosphere is opened. – Beauty Salon in complex continuing care opens.
June 1988 – New logo is launched.
1997 – The Health Services Restructuring Commission announces its review of the Halton Region. Restructuring of the healthcare system in Ontario continues.
1998 – Milton District Hospital amalgamates with Oakville-Trafalgar Memorial Hospital on August 1, 1998 to form Halton Healthcare Services to serve both communities.
November 21, 1999 – MDH celebrates its 40th Anniversary of serving and caring for the community.
February 2007 – Launch of CT Scanner and Diagnostic Imaging Renewal Campaign.
2007 – In order to accommodate the expansion of our diagnostic services, including CT scanning and Digital Mammography, a new Imaging Annex is built adjacent to the old Diagnostic Imaging Centre.
January 2008 – The CT Scanner Suite is officially opened on the same day the CT Scanner becomes operational.
June 2009 – The new Digital Mammography unit becomes operational, signifying the implementation of the final phase of the CT Scanner and Diagnostic Imaging Renewal Campaign.
November 21, 2009 – MDH celebrates its 50th Anniversary with a Festival of Lights and Annual Tree Lighting event.
October 2010 – LHIN (Local Health Integration Network) grants funding to move Day Surgery from Emergency Department to second floor to address congestion. Completed in December 2010.
August 25, 2011 – The Minister of Health Deb Matthews announced that “the community of Milton has the green light for a major expansion”. The project will include 320,000 sq.ft. of new construction and 3,700 sq.ft. of renovations and affect all Clinical and Support departments.